July 19, 2018

Earth and Body

God is in the garden.
In the plants and in the soil. 
God is in the sun on my back,
in the water.
In the waves of the grass, 
calling the sway out of me, too. 

God is in my body,
In my legs and in my lungs. 
Spirit moves when I move, 
even more when we move together -
wilder then, and more obvious,
clambering to be seen, named, known./




This blog is filled with nature/Creator. Experiencing the earth and her natural phenomenon through my human physicality is somehow the closest I get to ‘relating' with the Divine. 

It’s not always the obvious humbling and expansive landscapes that get me. (Although, I have written my fair share of poems about the ocean, or mountains.) Sometimes just a revived houseplant will do -dirt under my nails is how I get the Spirit inside. 

Dirt, or movement: when I dance, run, work with my body. I remember rollerblading sometime after I tore my ACL and hadn’t been able to run or move quickly for 6 months. Tears of joy - in a roller rink playing top 40s music - with strangers who were strangely good at roller skating twirling around me. Endorphins? Neurotransmitters? Holy Spirit?

I set out here intending to reflect on previous posts and poems, but instead I started writing new ones that are exactly like the old. 

This isn’t new, but it feels different.
Or rather, this is new, but it feels the same?
Typical.

No comments: