August 29, 2018

Shedding the Summer Skin

Shame on me. 
Laughing -
in my summer skin -
Loud like the single girls. 
Distracted,
Out of practice.
Forgetting promises and principles.
Getting too big for this room. 

Don’t wait ‘round. 
I can’t be held in this state. 

But I’ll be small when I’m coming down 
And I’ll crawl back into your capable hands 
For safe keeping. 
For hibernating.

Until next spring./

I would not want to be married to myself -to endure the tides of feisty flirtation and self-questioning deprecation. I am grateful for my partner. He watches me expand to fill every corner, celebrates my exuberance, and tolerates my independence. He is patience and trust personified.
Afterwards, he is there still -grieving and enduring the process of coming down. He reminds me of myself and allows space for my dichotomies. I am a fortunate human being.

No comments: