November 10, 2018

Reflections on the Tooth Fairy

This week, we lost our first baby tooth.

June, pleased as punch, made a little tissue envelope for the enamelled “tiny blood cup” and pondered how much her pay out would be in the morning. Steven turned to Gladys and asked, “Gladys, do you think maybe the tooth fairy will leave you money too, because you’re twins?” Glad looked at him, perplexed and not amused, “Well, if that happened I would definitely give the money to June because it was her tooth. I don’t deserve money just for doing nothing!”

Currently, this child lives in a world of black and white, cause and effect, natural consequences. She does not tolerate inconsistency well. It can appear physically painful for her when she encounters grey situations or rule bending.

Later on that evening she approached me looking concerned and contemplative. 
“Mom, why are you lying?”
“What do you mean?”
“Well, the tooth fairy isn’t real...”
“Oh, but honey, it’s good to make believe. June is having fun.”

A look somewhere between panic and pity appeared on her face as she whispered, “But I’m worried that June might actually want to know the truth.”

My own words reverberate and suddenly my 5 year old has spun me into a crisis of faith of ludicrous proportions.

I love Gladys for holding this tension. She is tolerating the wink-wink foolery, allowing space for imagination, even expanding it. The next morning she played along for June’s benefit: “Yes, I bet the tooth fairy is sooo teeny tiny!” All while doubting the entire practice’s utility and knowing that if it were up to her, she’d stick with the cold hard facts. No half truths, please.

The path ahead ain’t easy, kid. But we’ll be OK.

No comments: